Sunday, March 25, 2012

Strawberry Mousse


There was this bakery that we always went to when I was young. I would always get a slice of strawberry mousse cake. It was essentially a big slice of strawberry mousse, with a layer of strawberry gelatin on top - not much cake involved, except its shape. I absolutely loved it, but I haven't had it since that bakery closed down years and years ago.

Now that I've been trying to cook and bake so many new things, I was thinking that I should try making that strawberry mousse cake so I could have some again. I looked around online and found lots of recipes, but they all seemed to have layers of sponge cake in them. I spent some time trying to find one without any sponge cake (to get the proportions of ingredients correct) but then realized, why bother with a cake? I could just make the mousse in cups. I don't want the cake part, and I don't care if it comes in cake form - I just want strawberry mousse goodness. I found a recipe on Make Fabulous Cakes and decided to give it a go.

So here it is, in all its sweet, fruity, delicious glory.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
  • 1 packet of plain gelatin
  • 1/3 cup of cold water
  • 3/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 2 cups of 35% cream

Puree the strawberries in a food processor. If you'd like a smoother mousse, you can strain it to remove the seeds. Mix in the sugar and lemon juice.



Add the gelatin to the cold water and let it bloom for a few minutes. Put the container in a bowl of hot water and stir it so that the gelatin melts, then remove the container of gelatin from the hot water. Pour the gelatin into the strawberry puree mixture, stir, and let the mixture cool until it thickens a little bit.

Whip the 35% cream until it forms peaks, but not so that it is overly stiff. Fold the cream into the strawberry puree mixture until it is completely mixed together. Pour it into small bowls and chill in the fridge. If you are going to garnish the mousse, let it chill completely before putting anything on top of it because otherwise the garnish will sink. (Trust me.)

It's as tasty as it is pretty!

***

This was featured on Our Delightful Home!


***

  Inspired By Felicity Blog   UndertheTableandDreaming  

    Mixitup   StoneGable

  Our Delightful Home

9 comments:

  1. Hi again,

    This looks delicious......I love strawberry mousse but my family always votes the choc way!! I once made a strawberry mousse for a family member who gave up caffeine and therefore will not eat milk or dark chocolate......(how horrid I know!!) so I made a strawberry mousse that had melted and cooled white chocolate whipped into the cream, therefore not requiring gelatine....... oh so good!!

    Regards, Poots

    ReplyDelete
  2. No chocolate? No good! At least she can still have strawberry mousse. Interesting idea to put white chocolate in it - that would make it even more decadent! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I'd love for you to share at Mix it up Monday:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/03/mix-it-up-monday_25.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I will have to try. Thanks for linking up at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I will have to make this for my daughter--she loves everything with strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to start the spring time! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so pretty! I bet it tastes amazing too, strawberries are one of my favourites.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you'll return! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so refreshing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks like a perfect summer time desert! I can't wait to get some fresh strawberries and try this out!

    Thanks for linking up at Beautify It Monday! We were thrilled to have such a great turn out for out first party! Features will go up on Saturday and we hope to see you back again on Monday for week 2!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...