Monday, March 05, 2012

Panel Window Makeover


When we bought our house, it came with the old homeowner's blinds and curtains. Some of them were pretty dated, but changing them wasn't the highest thing on our priority list. That changed, at least for the panel window by the front door, when our dog decided to try to eat the blinds.

I took a close-up picture of his handiwork.


We decided that, instead of getting new blinds, we would get one of those adhesive panels that you can't see through, but which would let the light in. We found one at Home Depot. They didn't have too many designs that were the right dimensions for panel windows, but there was one that was simple and looked like frosted glass, so we decided to try it out. It cost about $40.

When we started trying to take the blinds off, we were confronted with this and had no idea how to take the blinds off.


Finally I did what I usually do when I can't figure something out - brute force (for the record, I am not recommending this approach to anyone). I pulled down the plastic part at the top, and then my husband figured out how to open up the little clasps and the blinds just fell off. Yay! Goodbye, ugly blinds!



We measured and trimmed the window panel. I thought it was an adhesive panel, but it's actually just plastic that sticks to the glass when you spray the glass with soapy water. We squeegeed the air bubbles out and voila!



So much better than ugly, old, dog-chewed blinds. We get lots of light through the window now, but you still can't see through it. Perfect!

***

I shared this at the Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training and on Show Me What Ya Got on Not Just a Housewife.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...