Sunday, March 18, 2012

Salmon Potato Cakes


These salmon potato cakes are tasty, filling, and best of all, pretty easy and quick to make. I adapted these from Chef Michael Smith's recipe. You could use other types of fish in this as well, but I like salmon best because it doesn't make the cake too fishy-tasting or heavy.

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium baking potatoes
  • 2 salmon fillets, about 140 g or 5 oz each
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon of dill
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 tablespoons of butter for frying
  • 2 tablespoons of flour for dredging

Start by chopping up the potatoes into bite-sized pieces to steam them until they are tender enough to mash. If you don't have a steamer pot, you could also just boil the potatoes. 

Fry the salmon fillets until they are golden brown on the outside. Here's a tip for the amateur cook when frying: put the meat or fish down in the pan when the oil is hot, and then leave it alone. I always ruined things when frying because I'd get impatient and try to turn it over too quickly and it would fall apart. Let it develop a nice, golden brown crust before you turn it over. If you're not using a non-stick pan, you'll be able to tell when the crust develops because the meat or fish will pull away from the pan pretty easily. I never knew this because I never waited long enough to figure it out! Cooking shows are so helpful.


Mash the potatoes in a big mixing bowl, and then add the salmon fillets, salt and pepper, dill and beaten egg and mix everything up well. You could also chop up some green onion and toss it in for some more flavour. I probably would have, but didn't have any on hand.


Let the mixture cool enough for you to handle and then form the cakes by hand. Make them small enough that they'll cook through when you fry them. I used just enough to make a palm-sized cake. Dredge the cake in flour. You can toss the cake from hand to hand to dislodge any excess flour.




Heat the vegetable oil and butter together over medium-high heat and fry up the cakes until they're nice and golden brown.


Serve with a side of seafood sauce and some lemon wedges.


***

Featured On:

Inspired By Felicity Blog

***

   UndertheTableandDreaming   

   Oopsey Daisy   Days of Chalk and Chocolate

I also shared this on the Scrumptious Sunday Link Party on Addicted to Recipes!

16 comments:

  1. Ok - this is the mom (Kim)speaking. Shiloh'n Shasta, like Oscar, will probably make an appearance here but your blog is for me. You caught my attention right off when I clicked on the link and the first thing I saw was the recipe for Salmon Potato cakes - my kind of food. Then I did a quik scroll-thru some of your other posts - the Italian and Mexican recipes, my loves. Can't wait to see more.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! Glad you stopped by and that some of the recipes have caught your eye. I was going back through my Oscar the Pooch blogroll and miss them - I'm going to have to catch back up with those blogs. Thanks for visiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Oscars Mom!!!!!! It's Rubie's mum here! It was so wonderful to see the update on Oscar's blog because it is unsettling to just have a blog STOP in mid-air - I was so worried that something bad had happened to the little guy.!!!!!!

    Great minds must things alike - I did the same thing as you - start a personal blog - but Rubie is keeping hers going, because there is so much going on in her life!!

    In fact, I just posted a childhood memories German Potato Pancake recipe so I laughed when I saw your salmon one!! I hope you pop over and check mine out!!

    Well done, and I'm so glad that you and Oscar are fighting fit! Missed you!!!!!!!

    Poots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poots! It's lovely to hear from you again. I know, I have that fear too when dog blogs just stop...I should have posted something before now! Very terrible of me. But no, all is well, and I'm glad to hear you and Rubie are keeping busy. I'm going to head back to check out Rubie's blog, and will pop by yours as well! You can never have too many potato cake/pancake recipes, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks delicious! also love your pictures, so beautiful! will try it out sometimes this week.
    love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boyfriend loves salmon cakes/patties so i am going to try to make these for him. They look yummy! thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
    http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pinning this and am going to try and make them soon, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salmon must be in the air, I just made salmon cakes as well and they are up next to be blogged. Love your recipe! Would love for you to share at http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yup, I'm inspired. I'm stopping over from the Get Inspiried Monday Blog hop, and now I'm a follower who will be back. I recently tried a cod and potato cake that was okay but not great...think I'll give these a try.
    Looking forward to lurking around.
    Peace and good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jutta: Thanks very much! I try to keep my pictures interesting. It's been fun experimenting with food photography!

    @Jennifer and Pamela: They are delicious! I hope you like them.

    @Addicted to Recipes: I'll stop by and join in if it's not too late. Thanks very much!

    @Beloved: Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad this gave you some inspiration and I hope my future posts do too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh YUMMY! I must try these. I make salmon cakes, but I think the addition of mashed potatoes would make it delicious!
    Please join me for ON THE MENU MONDAY, a weekly linky party. These salmon potato cakes would be a delicious addition! Linky goes live Sunday 8:00 PM
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these look yummy! I'm a new follower, and I'd love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow too! My first link party (and give-away)is running now thru Saturday night. I'd love to have you link up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always wondering what to do with the left over salmon fillets - thinking that these would be an option. Pinning so that I can find this recipe!
    Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always looking for new ways to cook salmon! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you shared at Scrumptious Sunday! Next time I make our salmon cakes I am totally going to add potato to them. Can't wait to see what you share next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting from Days of Chalk and Chocolate. This looks delicious! Glad I found it. Jodi@ meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...