Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quickie Bruschetta Grilled Cheese Sandwiches


I'm not going to pretend that I always make meals from scratch - far from it. Convenience often trumps my love of cooking, especially on weeknights when we're short on time after coming home late from work. A lot of the time, we have processed things for dinner, like frozen pizza or fish sticks and fries. Not the greatest, I know - both in terms of nutritional value and taste.

However, I do have a couple of things that I like to make that I can put together relatively quickly, and even though they aren't made from scratch, they can be pretty tasty. One is a simple grilled cheese sandwich with a yummy twist.


 Ingredients:
  • Sliced bread
  • Cheese of choice
  • Butter
  • Vegetable oil
  • Bruschetta - I use Classico bruschetta, which is a jarred bruschetta that you can find in your pasta sauce aisle and is actually pretty tasty

Heat up the oil and butter together in a pan over medium heat, which I find a good setting to let the cheese melt without browning the bread too quickly. Compile the sandwiches by layering all your cheese and bruschetta together. I used cheddar, then spread the bruschetta on top of it and sprinkled it all with shredded parmigiana.




I use the lazy girl's method of buttering the bread, which is to melt the butter in some vegetable oil and then put the sandwich into the pan to let the bread soak up the butter/oil on its own. I turn it over after a few seconds so I can "butter" the other side of the sandwich before the first piece of bread soaks up all of the butter/oil. Fry the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and the insides are nice and melty. Easy peasy!



I really like the extra flavour that the bruschetta adds to the sandwich - and it takes barely any extra effort at all!

2 comments:

  1. Was searching for something yummy to eat tonight on this snowy eve!! Was thinking Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese ... have a jar of bruschetta in the pantry ... thanks for the wonderful idea ... and helping me with dinner!
    :) Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...