Saturday, June 02, 2012

Tomato and Herb Quinoa Salad


I'm a big fan of quinoa. It's a grain that is apparently quite high in protein. I find it similar to couscous. It's great to make as a side because it's quick to prepare and is tasty served hot like rice, or cold like pasta salad. I recently made a simple version with cherry tomatoes, herbs and garlic. It was fresh and delicious - perfect for summertime!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of quinoa
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth
  • Several leaves of oregano and basil
  • A handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse the quinoa and drain it. Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the quinoa to it. Turn the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the quinoa cook for about 15 minutes or until the grains become translucent. Let the quinoa cool for a few minutes and transfer to a mixing bowl.


Roll up the oregano and basil leaves and finely chop them. Dice the cherry tomatoes and finely chop the garlic. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Mix in the herbs, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper.


Chill the quinoa salad. Mix well and serve.



***

     Chef In Training   Days of Chalk and Chocolate

SixSistersStuff.com   It's OVerflowing   

9 comments:

  1. This is such a great salad for me!
    I love quinoa and I love your combination of flavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to try quinoa and your simple salad is the perfect combination of flavors!! Thanks for sharing this at the {what's shakin' link party}!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am crazy about quinoa too, but have yet to actually cook with it. I've only had it at restaurants. I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that sounds good! I'll have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. I love quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing so much about Quinoa, and want to buy it but just haven't. This post surely makes me want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quinoa too! Your salad looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I love finding new ways to prepare quinoa, your recipe sounds really good, thanks for sharing!
    ~Maria @ www.shopgirlmaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I LOVE Quinoa! I will be trying this recipe out soon. I have an awesome Mediterranean Quinoa Salad posted on my blog. Please feel free to check it out.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Julie - jamscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...